Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Benjamins birth & first week home

Warning.....this post will be long & has quite a few pics! I wanted to tell the story of Benjamin's birth and a little about our first week home.

As I had mentioned in previous postings, we had a c-section scheduled. This was my 3rd c-section, well everything seemed to be ok when I got to the hospital to have Benjamin, I had to be there 2hrs before going into the OR, so they could put me on the monitor, ask the million questions(that had already been asked before), start an IV & run fluids & antibiotics. About the last 25 min before they took me into the OR, I got really anxious, I could not sit still.
So they finally took me in & the anesthesiologist administered my spinal & assisted me to lay on the operating table to wait for the numbness to kick in. It kicked in but a little too well. I was only supposed to be numb from the top of my tummy down but for some reason it was from my chin line down. My doctor came in to start prepping & she asked me if I felt alright , I did at that point, but she said I was very pale, my lips were white & she couldn't see my freckles! All of a sudden I didn't feel right & I let them know it, I couldn't place what was wrong but apparently my blood pressure dropped to 82/46 which is pretty low. They asked me if I was breathing ok & I couldn't tell, I asked them if I was even breathing because I couldn't feel myself taking a breath,LOL. They ended up sitting me up a little & told me if my blood pressure didn't come up & the numbness didn't go down in a few minutes then they would have to put me under general anesthesia & David would not be able to attend the birth. Thank goodness it all worked out, it was just a bit frightening for a few min. Next thing I knew, David was in the room, they were starting to cut my tummy & I heard the most wonderful sound of Benjamin crying and they reported that he was healthy!

The next day, when the numbness wore off I had some pain, the nurses gave me pain medications but on the right side of my incision I felt some sharp, stabbing pains. They told me it was probably because my dr worked from the right side of me. My dr went out of town after my surgery so I had another dr checking on me, he didn't seem to be too concerned. Well I went home saturday & continued to have pain & it only seemed to get worse. I was taking pain medication, but it just took the edge off & made me tired & loopy.

Monday I called my doctors office to see if I could get in to have my staples removed. I went that afternoon only to find that my dr was off & a med assistant would remove them. She was very nice but she had the on call dr come look at my incision because I told her I was having a lot of blood draining from it. The dr started poking around & discovered that I had developed a pocket of blood in the middle of my incision line. She had to poke & prode & drain it, then she cleaned & packed it (it was scarey & it hurt). This did nothing for the right side pain, she told me the same thing I was told in the hospital. Next day I returned to have it looked at again, my dr & her nurse(I love them both!!) were there:), it turned out that I had developed a bloodclot in the right corner of my incision, this is why I was having all that pain! Well the pain wasn't over yet, they had to reopen part of my incision to remove the bloodclot, clean & pack it. I've had to go in every day to have it cleaned & repacked & this will probably continue till next week. They have also started me on kflex ( an antibiotic) for preventative measures, there is no sign of infection but I don't want to take any chances. I am still hurting but it is now because they reopened my wound, it is a different kind of pain. I am not one to take pain medications, I don't like how they make me feel but I am on my second bottle of them just so I can get through this.
That should tell you how much pain I was having, yuck!

As far as Benjamin goes, he is doing great! It is hard for me to believe that I gave birth to a baby who weighed what he did. Ty was 8lb 6oz, Hailey was 7lb 15.9 oz & Kaden was 8lb 14.4oz. I was totally expeceting Benji to weigh at least 8lb.

I love him so much already, I can't wait until I am feeling better so I can really enjoy him.
Everyone else is adjusting well, we are bumming right now because David is returning to work tomorrow. I wish he could stay home with us a little longer, I am grateful for the time he did get off though.


This first pic is just after they got Benji wrapped in a blanket & David brought him to me so I could meet him. These next few are just some cute pics of Benji's first few days
The next 2 pics are when we first got home & Dad & Barb brought Hailey & Kaden home.....I missed them so much! It was very hard not having them come to the hospital.
I look like heck, blame it in the pain pills.

Here is one of my dad holding Benji just after he was born
Here is David Showing Hailey & Kaden their new baby brotherKaden holding his baby brother... he is so proud
Hailey holding Benjamin....so sweet

Ty holding Benji, he was able to go to the hospital with us & his friend Aaron came too!Ty is also very proudHere is the very PROUD daddy!

Here is another pic of Kaden, he is so cheesy
I just had to post this last pic, this is Mateo, Holly's baby (4 mo old) holding his baby cousin. He looks so big compared to Benjamin.

No comments: