
I"m not talking about sewing either! I am 20-13 (33) and up until last night I have never had to have stitches (sutures), I probably could have used some in my thumb when I was 12 (thumb versus chili can lid) but I didn't want them so I didn't get them. Anyhow I was on the phone talking to my Grandma Brown, just catching up with her and I started cooking dinner as we were chatting. We were going to have bacon cheese burgers, so I started the bacon and pulled out the hamburgers. I was using some frozen patties and I couldn't get them apart so I grabbed a knife and put the tip between two of them and they came apart fine. Put it between the next two and somehow the knife slipped and it went through my pinky. I didn't "cut" my finger I actually "stabbed" it. It went through the inside of my finger and just the tip of it poked out the outside.
Now I was listening to grandma talk when this happened and without thinking I pulled the knife out as soon as it happened, grabbed a paper towel to wrap around it and started for the bedroom to have David look at the damage. Well I only got about 5 steps toward the dining room and the paper towel was saturated and the blood was pouring out of my finger and onto the floor. So I turned around went to the sink, grabbed another papertowel and told grandma " grandma, I'm gonna have to call you back I just cut my finger". Hailey walked into the kitchen just then, so I told her to go get David for me. I still had not looked at my finger, I don't get grossed out but I panic when I see things like this (the worrier in me kicks in) David came in, wrapped another clean papertowel around it and applied some pressure. After a minute or two, he had a look and said it's not big but it's deep. I hadn't told him I "stabbed" myself so he thought it was just a cut. we talked for a few minutes and after calling my mom we decide I better go get stitches, my hand had become numb at this point. As all of this was happening Paige showed up and so she offered to sit with the kids while we went to the ER since Ty was still at work.
So we drove to the hospital, David kept asking if I was OK? It didn't hurt, as I said my hand was numb but inside I was panicking at the thought of getting stitches. it's so silly but I was dreading getting that shot of lidocaine (no I'm not afraid of needles) I'm not really even sure why I was afraid or where this fear was coming from. When we got to the ER the triage nurse said I would definitely need some stitches. The staff was great everyone was joking around, they offered to just "cut it off", I told them no thank you. The Dr. was even funny, he said he worked in a lot of food service jobs before and during college, the trick to getting those frozen patties apart is slamming them on the counter or another hard surface ( deep down I already knew this , common sense, DUH) I was like oh so now you tell me. He says yep if you would have called down here I would have told you before you went and did this, saved you a trip. I love people who have a sense of humor. When he was getting ready to numb my finger I told him I've never had stitches before so he sat the head of the bed up and had me lay back, in case I passed out. I didn't pass out, in fact I watched the whole thing, kind of cool but weird that you can feel the tugging/pulling sensation (I remember the same feeling with my c sections). So I only ended up with 3 stitches and that is perfectly fine with me, I hope I never have to get them again. Lesson learned.... don't use a knife to separate frozen hamburger patties, use some common sense instead!

2 comments:
I'm scared of stiches too and I shouldn't be. It can't be worse than labor and delivery three times. Hope your finger is getting better.
Ouch!! Atleast you got to document it on your blog:) That was an exciting post! I hate things like that. They just bug and HURT! I actually had to get stitches in my hand (Hand vs. DRILL- NOT GOOD!). It just throbbed for hours! I hope your finger feels better soon!!
Post a Comment